Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Aug 30


Up early in the pouring rain – and off to the airport even though we know the plane is delayed and maybe even cancelled. But if it does take off and you’re not there, well tough luck. I am accompanied by Juan Carlos, Lis, and Isa – driver, mentor and guide – who kindly make conversation with me while we wait to see what will happen. After an hour I do in fact climb aboard the tiny 12 seater; I hear it is the last flight to return to San Jose before the airports close again. I guess this happens a lot in Costa Rica!

I am met by Cuca and Jose Pablo. All these guides and drivers have me spoiled rotten. I haven’t carried a bag, opened a door, or wondered when to have a meal for over a week and I no longer know how to take care of myself. Yet I can tell this next week is all serious business – we have lots to see and do. We drive through beautiful country to Turrialba and a little hotel, Villa Florence, set above a tiny village. We are greeted as if we are long lost family, by the Costa Rican owner and the transplanted Canadian manager. Then off to CATIE where we are met by a very nervous guide who walks us through the gardens before we all hop on bikes (helmets included!) for a nice, fairly level bike ride through the plantations of sugar cane, palm trees and meadows. There are tons of birds and beautiful vistas though I learn pretty quickly I can’t navigate the rocky road and look around at the same time. This is a beautiful valley, very lush, surrounded by cloud swept mountains – very un-touristed and a pleasant picture of local life. Later we enjoy a coffee tour, at the end of which we all get to try the ‘slurp and spit’ method of coffee tasting – fascinating but not likely this will be incorporated into my morning routine. Dinner at a local restaurant is steak with a coffee sauce.
Bed feels really good.

No comments: