Monday, December 3, 2007

Friday Nov 30 – day 4 of the Trek




Last night the little elves came and cleaned all of our hiking boots – they look better than brand new! It was exciting, but a futile effort as we headed out into the muddy day. It has been pouring rain overnight, and so our days are clear (just as I intended of course) but the trail is muddy in parts. Today we leave at 830 (I think this is described as the day we begin at leisure!) and head down through cloud forest with bamboo and orchids – we hear the humming birds but never actually see them. Javier tells us about the bugs called ‘Puma Huacachi’ which translates to ‘that which makes the puma cry’… by the end of this trek my arms and legs will be covered with these red welts (I hate deet and evidently am willing to pay the price) which itch mercilessly. It reminds me of the days when Leo would use the red marker to pretend he had chicken pox – it is exactly what I look like! But I am getting ahead of myself…Today is a pleasant downhill slog to Colpa Lodge at 2886 meters.

This lodge is beautifully situated above a rushing river, the Santa Teresa River I think – though it requires a steep downhill, cross the river, then steep UPhill to the lodge. We arrive in time for a late lunch and nap, followed by a meeting in the hot tub which is set in the bank in front of the lodge with several lovely wooden deck chairs lined up behind. The ‘Club Deck Chair’ has been formed and we discuss the secret handshake we might invent, and take pictures of us in the hot tub as well as in the luscious white robes the lodges provide us. Altitude is wearing us down for sure, leaving us sillier than any of us would usually want to admit to. There is a sweet boy here playing with his ball – he scares the bejeezers out of us by running after the ball right up to the edge of a cliff that would surely kill anyone who went over the side. This boy thought it was very funny. Show off.

My stomach still feeling overwrought I head to bed without supper for a good 10 hours sleep, drifting off to the sounds of laughter from my fellow club members having a good time in the dining room – but I don’t think anyone stays up past 930. Sleep comes easily here!

No comments: