Thursday, September 4, 2008

Things I'm thinking about

Those many many smooth red spots all over my body... you don't feel the bugs biting but oh my goodness how they ITCH for days to come. I made a stop at the local pharmacy for some antihistamine gel that makes a tiny difference for enough time to feel human again. The experience in the shop was fun, even if I do start scratching like a monkey again a few mnutes later.


Epiphyte is now a part of my every day vocabulary. Not only do I recognize epiphytes everywhere, when I see one I very clearly hear and see my friend Linda jumping with glee, arms in the air, crying out "EPIPHYTE!" during our game of charades.


Rain is totally cool, and more people should be prepared for it on a regular basis so as not to miss out on what life has to offer. Everyone should own a good poncho no matter how silly they look in it. And umbrellas? How come I never really knew before how AWESOME and useful they are.


Hiking boots are invaluable. Why did I think sissy Keens with socks would be worthwhile in Costa Rica? Even in my hikers my feet were drenched on more than one occasion - but had I only worn Keens my feet would now be as mossy as my boots are. No kidding - green stuff growing all over those boots!


Almost everywhere in Costa Rica you are asked to NOT put your paper into the toilet, but to deposit it into a bin next to it. It makes me wonder why it is OK in the USA to drop paper and other things into our toilets....yes yes of course we may have more sophisticated plumbing but still... maybe we should rethink our habits?


On a similar note - the nice lined bathing suit worn by swimmers and lifeguards everywhere - forget it! It could never dry fast enough to be useful. Which is to say, even though it's been washed with soap several times the mildew smell is so potent I am afraid they'll ban my suitcase from the airplane.


No comments: