Sunday, August 31, 2008

August 28


Up at 5 am for the early flight to Manuel Antonio – this means a boat ride across the canal (all of 4 minutes) to a tiny airstrip and a tiny building with a tiny counter where you weight your tiny bag for check in (30lb weight limit) Unfortunately the weather is bad in San Jose and the plane can’t make it to us – so BACK to the hotel for more charades until we get the call that a plane is on the way.

We do make it to San Jose and quickly on to our connecting flight just in a tiny window of time before the airports shut down again for bad weather. Somehow we land just in time for our scheduled zip line adventure. Ahem. This was definitely the thrill of the week and though I confess to a moment of almost uncontrollable panic when I looked down to the abyss from the very high platform, I did manage to suck it up and complete all 12 lines of the course.

Everyone loved it. I think the secret is to simply not allow yourself to acknowledge all the ways in which you could come to serious harm doing such a thing.

The rain began just at the end, conveniently, and continued while we enjoyed a great lunch before heading to our hotel. This afternoon I joined the guides on a very wet trip doing errands – the grocery store, the bank – as I wanted to see the town. This is where I stocked up on mayonnaise con limon which is my new favorite food. It has not ceased to amaze me how much it can rain here.

The hotel is a sprawling 5star Italian villa sort of resort; the air conditioning and sumptuous beds piled high with pillows are all quite inviting after our nights at 'camp'. Dinner tonight is in the open air dining room, and tastes great.

No comments: