Saturday, August 11, 2007

Friday August 10 – flying solo


Steven and Sam presumably made it off at 4am; Frank, Gladys and Mallory leave for Spain at 11 so we have breakfast together (I am afraid to eat anything still) After we say goodbye and Frank has refilled my Imodium stash, Mark takes Mira, Leo and I off on an Urban Trek – we walk from the hotel to the medina to finish our shopping. Crossing the street is an interesting experience – it seems the cars and mopeds actually speed up as they approach us in the middle of the road making it a real challenge to get across. But we do, several times. First stop is the rug shop, then deeper into the souk back where we were yesterday, to finish what we started… I think about an hour is all one can take before feeling confused here! Our cab ride back – just my family of 3 since it is all a cab can hold, and Mark is walking back to his house – is an experience in itself. Mark carefully instructs us to not pay the driver anything unless he turns the timer on, and it should cost about 10 dirham. The driver refuses to turn his timer on, if fact signals to us to get out (presumably if we don’t like it) and says he wants 20 dirham for the ride. In the end I tell him to drive on; we get to the hotel and pay him 15 dirham which is all I have. I expected him to have a fit but he shrugged and drove away. Hm.

The rest of the day – hot, sunny, lunch by the pool and then a scuffle over lounge chairs with a French couple and the pool boy. After showers Mira and I go for henna tattoos, then we meet with Mark for a farewell beer. Dinner is room service! And bed is early.

No comments: